Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Out with the old ducts; in with the new


Well, the NG tube is gone! Thank you Dr. Tuttle!

I'm awaiting a bagle and soup for lunch... the first solid food in over 2 weeks. The GI is still recovering slowly, but it's on the mend and it looks like as long as I don't vomit in the next 24 hours, I'll be going home tomorrow midday after an IV avastin (anti-cancer) treatment.

I'll be doing IV pain killers (through my new central line catheter) and, possibly, nutrition at home (depending on how long it takes the bowels to fully recover). Then, it looks like it's back into the hospital as an outpatient on Friday for another abdominal tap and a PleurX catheter (TM). That is basically a DIY ascites kit so that I can do abdominal taps at home. It's pretty complicated, but for those who are interested in the technical details, I have included a picture (see below).


Picture courtesy of http://www.brucio.com/images/writing/gut_spigot_copy.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Dr. Tuttle:
    Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form.

    Form 27b/6?!?!... bloody paperwork.

    **Dr. Tuttle exits room via zip line with NG tube in hand.**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of looks like "Hillbilly's" belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace giggled at the sight of the spigot man's "moobs", and Bobby suggested that he might be in need of a "bro". Ha! Hi from both of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://images3.cafepress.com/product/86452613v10_240x240_Front.jpg

    - bumper sticker Elizabeth followed around for a while today... thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we love you, Dave. you're always in our prayers and thoughts. thanks for the blog updates - it helps us feel connected. stacey and bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave -

    Congratulations on finally being able to go home! It's been a long seige. I hope that you continue to improve, and that all of this will soon be a thing of the past. Just keep hanging in there.

    Chris Belcastro

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, "Brazil," my favorite movie.

    John S.

    ReplyDelete