So, I spent most of the day at the DMV getting a disability permit, and then at UVA getting an injection to help my white blood count (which, based on bloodwork I had at the same time, I may not have needed). Oh well... i'm getting used to hanging around in waiting rooms. I'm so excited about the permit, and then, as I drove away from my beautiful super-secret UVA handicapped parking space on Hospital Drive, the following question occurred to me: "where would you hang the permit on a motorcycle… and if you hung it on the handlebars, would it likely get stolen?” I’m sure I could “Housify” my motorcycle and find a place for the cane.

Anyway, I actually looked it up, and there are a bunch of states that give out handicapped plates for a motorcycle, but as far as I can tell, VA isn’t one. I think the parking spaces would be marked like this =>

Speaking of House, My kids say every day I become more like Dr. H in every way. First, I am just plane ornery, then I get a motorcycle, then – after the nephrectomy – I regularly express my great fondness for opiate pain killers (mmmm... fentanyl). I tel nurses and interns what to do. And, I’m walking with a cane. What more is there?
well, we LOVE House, so that doesn't damage your reputation with us. Does Cuddy (Joanne?) remind you who's boss?
ReplyDeleteCan we drive down to see you Sat? For a short time so we don't wear you out? We have to take my mom back to BWI, after which we will be full of rejoicing and praise.
To see you would top off a glorious day.
your buds,
stacey & bill
Dave, you ask what more is there, to become like Dr. House? You already have the cute girls who hang around the House (your wife and daughters!) But, you don't have the paycheck brought home every week by the actor who plays House.
ReplyDeleteDave -
ReplyDeleteI don't believe for 1 second that you are acting like House! However, considering what you've been through, I'd say a little orneriness would be healthy! You just hang in there and keep doing whatever you're doing - it's working!
Chris Belcastro
Dave,
ReplyDeleteI'm not nearly as inspiring, creative or witty as most of your blog followers, so hope you'll accept this plain message and know it's heartfelt, even if boring. :) You remain in our thoughts and prayers!! It's been wonderful reading about your improvements lately, and we hope and pray you will continue to get healthier and stronger each and every day.
Karen (and Jason)
Dave,
ReplyDeleteI totally get the Dr. H reference. All you need now are the young but brillant interns. You can bark at them as they follow from an emotionally safe distance behind you....
Shelly