Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Paralytic Ileus

This is the current diagnosis. Here's a pic:

Basically, it's when the intestines shut down and stop moving things through them. This can happen when they become distended, disturbed, or are subject to an electrolyte imbalance (my bowels have seen all three of these). The solution is basically a "reboot" of the whole system. First, clear everything out via stomach pump, then no food or drink, then a slow recovery process. It typically takes days to get them moving again. Laxitives, etc., don't help here b/c the nerves in the bowels aren't working at all, so there's nothing to "stimulate." So.... here's waiting... meanwhile, the pain is substantially lowered (thanks to the stomach pumping), and I'm able to sleep.

On the cancer front, it still looks like things are progressing reasonably well. The rate at which the ascites (abdominal fluid) is building up has slowed significantly. This is a very good sign that the new chemo is working. Meanwhile, I'm talking to my doc about some other supplementary chemo regimines; however, it's pretty important that my body be healthy when we start, so we need to get over this ilius hump (which should take a few days).

Thanks to all for the prayers, notes of encouragement, and visits. You guys are going above-and-beyond the call of duty when it comes to fellowshiping with me in my sufferings. Cancer doesn't really leave any room for pride or shame or anything else -- there's just the naked truth and the need for helping hands to serve me in my humility. I love you all for that, and pray that you will be blessed many times over.

7 comments:

  1. Dave,

    That is promising informatio! Thank you. These details are so helpful to those of us who are far away from you in body, but close to you and Joanne in spirit.

    Is there anything any of us can help you with directly now?

    Would you like x-ray's or CT scans of any of us in the spirit of fair trade? I'll volunteer Renee, or any of the kids. Really, anybody you'd like.

    By the way, your scan shows what I knew all along--you are pure in heart!

    With you brother. Love you.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad and I continue praying in 'earnest' for you. The updates are very informative and thank you for being so open. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. So a stomach pump can also pump out the bowels? That is some suction on that machine! Can you talk us through that process?

    So glad the pain has diminished and you are able to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn and George AinsworthApril 29, 2009 at 12:28 PM

    Dave,

    I was in C'ville on Monday and wanted to come and see you,but John said you were being tested. We'll make it eventually. Thanks for the informative updates. They really help me know how to pray. When we were at BRCC to see the slides of Prague, I believe that the Lord told me that you would recover and live. The impression was so strong that I prayed for you with your mother. I am going out on a limb by writing this in your blog, but that is how deeply I believe it.

    I am also grateful you are in America for all of this. You don't want to know about socialized health in Croatia and most of Europe. I'm praying for wisdom for your doctors and for the treatments to WORK!!

    Your sense of humor is still intact, which is remarkable. I'm glad you're sleeping and getting stronger. I'm praying for peace of mind for you and your family and the nearness of God as your good. I'm praying for all your systems to WORK. (We've had a lot of practice with those prayers since George's colon cancer 2 and 1/2 years ago.) "God is good old the time," as one of my Romanian students wrote me one time as a new English student!!

    Love to you and your beautiful family,

    Lynn and George

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI... full disclosure... those aren't MY bowels... they are "internet" bowels with the same problem as mine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God from Whom a
    ALL KINDS of blessings flow!!!
    Laughing and crying at your art work!!
    We'll pray for continued flow--
    yellow and brown....
    Celebrating with you HERE--
    we'll let you have your
    "poo party" in private!!
    Luv to All--
    The Booths

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOps--I responded to the wrong
    picture!!! I guess you figured that out!
    BB

    ReplyDelete