Here's a brief update to clarify some confusion.
The process of recovering from the ileus is as follows:
1. Shut everything down (for the reboot). That includes the tube down the nose and into the stomach to pump stuff out from the top.
2. Wait for things to start clearing out from the "bottom up". The small, loose bowel movements are the first signs of this. I continue to have them (and some pee), and this is great.
3. Stop the suction for a period of time to see if the upper bowels are able to process the gastric juices on their own. At the moment, we have stopped suction a number of times, only to have to restart it after a while b/c I get more and more nauseous. SO.... as far as the ilius is concerned, the next step is to pray that my upper intestines will begin working on the gastric juices.
4. Begin to eat ... very slowly at first. Jello, etc. Then more and more solid foods. We're probably days away from this. FYI... it's probably been 5 or 6 days since I've eaten anything. Apparently, people go weeks, so it's not an issue.
The whole process can take days and days. Pooping is only the beginning, so keep praying. It's almost certain that I will be in the hospital through the weekend.
In the mean time.........
Tomorrow, I'll get a scan and possible drain of the abdominal fluid. The rate of buildup has slowed SIGNIFICANTTLY (hooray!), but it is still accumulating, and we don't want to get behind on that since that's what set all this junk off in the first place.
And... Today I start some xtra chemo. This chemo is a very very long shot at actually knocking out the Cancer (the other treatments are designed to shrink and slow it, but not to get rid of it). I'm glad my Dr. wants to be aggressive and take a shot at it. He's hoping that my cancer is "wierd enough" that it might just respond, whereas pRCC generally does NOT respond to Chemo.
And... a note on terminology. Chemo generally applies to toxic agents designed to kill the cancer cells. The other treatments I have had (including the Avastin) are not, properly, chemo since they are not really toxic to the cancer cells, but are designed to interrupt the biologic process by which the tumors grow.
OK.... I hope that clears things up and gives a clearer picture as to why I'm still here. Sorry for the boring post.
On a personal note, I continue to sleep ok, and my pain level is reasonable (some abdominal pain, but it's manageable). The tube down the nose is uncomfortable (especially when I swallow), but it's tolerable. And I continue to feel surrounded by more love and support than anyone could deserve. Thank you all.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dave,
ReplyDeleteI like the odds of your situation being "weird enough." You've worked hard at that, and I think you should be rewarded now.
Can we send you anything? How about some Fernando Ortega? Familiar with his music? Just discovered it and it's wonderful.
Love you, very much. I have the photo of you and Roger Brooks as the background screen to my BlackBerry. Everytime I look at the BlackBerry, I think of you and Joanne and I pray.
Of course, when someone else sees my BlackBerry and asks about the photo of the crazy guy in the gown, I say "yeah, I don't know. I think my BB has a virus."
Again, love you,
Mike
Thanks for the update here. Even though it may seem boring, it helps me with the "big picture". We'll keep praying for a weird reaction (good reaction) to the chemo!
ReplyDeleteHey Dave...the good thing about chemo is that it fries your brain cells!! SO....when you forget something or someone's name you can say you have CHEMO BRAIN!! It is very legit and IT REALLY HAPPENS b/c I have been thru this (chemo) and I still have chemo brain!! SO you now have a good excuse to get away with a lot more than you normally would have not!!!
ReplyDeleteLove your Wonderful & AMazing friend...
Cajun Momma:o)
Boring!?! I hung on every word!! Please keep boring us!! It's GOOD to have these updates b-c we want to know how things are, and all the little details. or as many as you want to share. So here's my prayer: LORD, when we're on a journey as all consuming as the one Dave and Joanne are on, sometimes we don't even know which end is up. Our normal life (did Dave have a normal life?) is as distant as if we just boarded the Mayflower and shoved off. And like those pilgrims, Dave and Joaane find themselves in a stormy sea, sea sickness, dank 'lower' decks, and a sense of uncertainty as those waves tower darkly. But You are the Lord of the seas and all that is in them- You hold the waves in Your hand. And You slept in a boat which was tossing and turning with frightened disciples.. Awake Lord, and comfort Dave and Joaane, bring Your peace to those seas. Quiet his nausea, clear the way for the chemo to work; send that medicine into the enemy camp to wreak utter and complete havoc. Stimulate his intestinal nerves, and may what usually takes days, take only hours to resolve. Give Joanne and Dave the grace and strength to see this journey through. Give them vision, comfort, and HOPE. Bless them to rest in You, and let You do Your kingdom work through them. Thy kingdom come, Lord; Thy kingdom come. In the name of Your Son, a Warrior, I pray, Amen Love, Kim B
ReplyDeleteDave -
ReplyDeleteYou deserve all of the love and support that you are getting - and more. Please know that you are surrounded by many who love and care about you.
Chris Belcastro