Thursday, November 19, 2009

Insurance Update

Well, the news wasn't as good as I had hoped. The latest is that the insurance company is NOT approving new treatments using my current regimen. They've recommended a new regimen involving interferon, which is NOT appropriate for papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma according to every oncologist, report, and internet blog I read. Additionally, they denied coverage for prior treatments because it isn't the regimen that they recommend.

Secondly, the University of Virginia hospital is now saying "pay up or we turn it over to a collections agency." They aren't willing to wait for another insurance company appeal and they want me to pay "list price" which is about 160% of what the insurance company was paying (back when they paid for my treatment which, by the way, they say was their mistake and they never should have paid, but because they are so good-natured, they aren't going to come after me asking me to repay them... isn't that nice?).

Anyway, that's the news. I'm adjusting and still fighting. Although, I wonder, as I contemplate trying to come up with the nearly $100,000 for treatments so far, what right do I have to hold onto anything I've saved over the years? Do we really have any right to expect our treasures on earth to do anything but burn? Here's hoping for treasure in heaven and that, in the meantime, I don't get singed too badly.

4 comments:

  1. Prayers, prayers and more prayers on your behalf. You and Joanne are very loved - by the God who has all at His disposal (and by all those who know you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. how frustrating. Give me their phone #. I will call everyone I know. Prayers coming your way, and action awaiting some phone #s. We love you tons and tons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the God of all comfort minister His grace and peace to you. Only He knows all things, but we know Him! So cling to the one who made you. I am praying that somehow His will and purpose would be a light for your path, a light stong enough to pierce all darkness. Thank you for all you do for others including my sister Andrea. God Leading me I will continue to pray for you. Adam sends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave -

    Please give me a call.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete